Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dialogue


I sat on the couch listening to my parents reflect on their relationship before marriage.  This was their way of trying to comfort me after a bad breakup.  They began talking about the months leading up to their wedding, a time when my dad got cold feet and started second guessing himself, leaving my mom with no choice but to leave and stay at her parents’ for a while.

Well your mom broke up with me once, he said.

Nothing came from my mom.

She did? I asked.

Yeah she did, he said.

Do you remember when you broke up with me? he asked her.

No, when did I break up with you? she said.

When you left to stay with your parents, he said.

This got one of my mom’s famous looks.  You didn't know if you wanted to get married, she said.

You didn't have to leave, he said.

Well, I wasn't going to stay there, she said. 

You didn't stay at your parents’ very long, he said.

Well you changed your mind pretty quick, she said.

Why didn't you stay there longer? he asked.

Because you didn't want me to leave in the first place! replied my mom.

My dad knew he couldn't win, so he thought quick...

Well, the roads were bad, he said, trying not to laugh.

My mom gave him another one of her famous looks and I decided to chime in.

Wasn't it July, I asked?

Yes, replied my mom.

2 comments:

  1. haha! this story is so cute! and so typical, when you're in a fight and realize you are losing, it is always best to be quick with responses...even if it means saying the roads were bad...in June! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how much we learn about the character of the husband and wife via their responses? This was very cute!

    ReplyDelete