Monday, May 13, 2013

Best of/Worst of

My favorite poem that we read this year would probably have to be "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" by William Wordsworth.  It was so peaceful and when I closed my eyes and imagined the view that Wordsworth described it took my breath away.  My least favorite poem would probably be "Ode on a Grecian Urn" by Keats because it was so long and dull that I could just not get into it.  It didn't interest me.

My favorite short story was "Story of an Hour" because it was so different, yet not so different that I lost interest.  The ending was great and the main idea of the whole story was so simple that it kept me reading.  My least favorite short story was "Cathedral" because it was very dull and did not do anything to make me want to keep reading.

I think that any English 150 class should read Death of a Salesman.  I really the last third of the class where we read this.  I love the ideas and themes put into this play and how it can be made to appeal to just about anyone.

Seeing the movies of both Bartleby and Death of a Salesman helped me to better understand the strange characters present in both of these stories.  I also love having a visual to compare to what I read and what I see in my mind.

I don't really recall any special in class activities we did that seemed different from the ones we did every day except for the class period where we drew the story boards.  I suppose that that would be my favorite class activity just because it was something different form what we usually do.  My least favorite class activity would be when we discussed the different themes in Death of a Salesman.  We spend all this time discussing one random theme that I didn't even end up writing about anyway and, on top of that, we didn't even get to keep our notes for writing ideas.  All of this wasn't very helpful to me.

I don't feel that student presentations would interest me or really help me.  I definitely know that I would not want to present my stuff either.

The creative blog entries were pretty fun.  I really liked writing the sestina because it was more of a challenge, yet I wasn't completely lost because I had a specific pattern to follow.  My least favorite blog post  would probably be the one about making connections to "The Lottery" because we had already discussed all of this in class and people pretty much just said the same thing.

1 comment:

  1. It seems worthwhile to maybe begin with Death of Salesman and to work to poetry.

    ReplyDelete