Monday, April 29, 2013

Grandpa Willy


My son, I know you’ve always been curious about your Grandpa Willy.  I now I’ve spent a lot of time complaining about your grandpa over the years, but now that you’re a teenager, it is time for you to know the truth.  Your grandfather was a great man.  He was a very hard worker—always on the road away from us, trying his hardest to support your Grandma Linda, me, and Uncle Happy.  Because of your grandpa, I know how important it is to work hard, because you get what you deserve. 
Your grandpa also spent a lot of hours out in the front yard with me playing catch.  My dreams of being a football player started with your grandpa, and he never once told me my dreams were out of reach.  He supported me with football, and he tried his best to support me with my life outside of football.  Sometimes his support was hard to see, but I know that he always wanted the best for me.
Once he started to go downhill, it was my turn to support him.  I tried getting work here in my hometown, so I could be close by to help my mom and him.  He had lost his job so money was really tight and I tried my best to help them.  However, he was a proud man and accepting money was not easy for him.
As I said, I know that most of your life has been spent believing that Grandpa Willy wasn’t a great guy, and that is my fault.  Your grandpa was a good, hardworking man and I know that he would be extremely proud of his grandson.  

3 comments:

  1. Good job on your post. I like that you started out making Willy sound like a bad person, but you ensure that grand-kids that he was actually a good man. I would do that same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your post and how you point out how he supports his sons and wife

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to know, via your post, that Biff had a change of heart eventually.

    ReplyDelete